- Keep dating. We aim to go on one date a month and stick with it despite busy schedules or anything else.
- Serve each other. What can you do today to help your spouse? What can you do right now?
- Have an anniversary date that's a little more special. An overnight trip is great if it is possible for you, but at the very least do something extra-special.
- Make short "thinking of you" phone calls or leave mushy notes. Guys: If the note would embarrass your junior-high self, you're probably on the right track.
- Read God's word together. We started doing this more recently and it has been great. Instead of each of us having our own "personal" devotion time, we decide together what we're going to read and then discuss it.
- Work in the kitchen together.
- Spend daily time together. Our relationship is a lot better when we carve out 30 minutes a night to connect and talk. We chat about anything, nothing in particular and everything in between. Quality time is found in quantity time.
- Ask each other for prayer requests. My wife does a great job of remembering this one. When's the last time you asked: "How can I pray for you?"
- Laugh together.
Thursday, October 24, 2013
9 (Marriage) Things
I was recently blessed to celebrate my 9th wedding anniversary. Here are 9 things my wife and I have found helpful to our marriage: