Quotable: "Every child I know who overcame long odds and grew into a responsible adult can point to an adult who stepped into his or her life as a friend, mentor and guide."
My Title: I think a better title for this book would have been "S. Truett Cathy's Memories as They Relate to Raising Children." Maybe not as catchy, but it would have been more accurate. I was slightly disappointed that there was not more prescriptive advice that fell into the "Build Boys" category. That being said, there were many practical reminders of how to relate to and lead children...
I'll Be Using This: And those practical reminders are what I'll be using from this book. The chapters on Respect, Trust and Generosity, Common Sense, Right Crowd/Wrong Crowd, and Stability will be great for me to review. I also think some of the material would be good to share with the COCUSA staff at next year's training.
2011 Personal Impact Ranking:
- One thing You Can't Do in Heaven by Mark Cahill*
- Fight Clubs by Jonathan Dodson*
- Why We Love the Church by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck*
- The Problem of Pain by CS Lewis
- Humility by CJ Mahaney*
- Switch by Chip and Dan Heath
- Samson and the Pirate Monks by Nate Larkin*
- Crazy Love by Francis Chan*
- It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men by S. Truett Cathy
- The Exemplary Husband by Stuart Scott*