- Create content. Even when you don't feel like it. (And this doesn't just mean writing. Create whatever type of content you are most inclined to.)
- Publish your content. This is easier than ever in our digital age. Blogs, podcasts, photo-blogs. You name it, you can probably find a free web service to publish it.
- Create and publish your content with some sort of regularity. I choose two blog posts a week. If you're painting the Mona Lisa, you might want to do an update a month. But decide on something regular and stick with it.
- Link it to a social network or two. I use Facebook. My friends use Facebook. I make sure my content makes it to Facebook.
- Give people options for following. Currently you can follow this terrific blog with RSS, via e-mail, on Facebook via my profile, or by stopping by pheaney.com every so often.
- Be in on the conversation. If someone comments on something you created, dialogue it with them.
- Repeat steps 1 through 3.
* Not that you the readers are small. You rule! Thanks for all of you who read and dialogue this stuff with me.